Monday 9 August 2010

Wednesday's walk

At the weekend I did a 'reccy' of the walk I fancied in the Kilsyth Hills, up to the Meikle Bin (highest point in the Campsies) from Kilsyth; and decided it wasn't up to the Ooters exacting standards. The climb was pathless and overgrown and the descent to Queenzieburn is out of commission because of work going on at the Birkenburn reservoir.

Weather permitting I would suggest a linear walk from the top of the Carron Reservoir up the Meikle Bin and then along the tops via Garrel Hill and Tomtain to the Tak ma Doon road above Kilsyth. It would mean leaving a car at the destination to take drivers back to the start to collect their vehicles. I did the walk back from Meikle Bin to the Tack ma Doon road and it is pretty boggy in places but manageable ... gaiters are recommended. I haven't done the climb up from the Carron Reservoir but it's well documented and seems to be the 'tourist route' up, although the Blue Sky Scotland boys recommended snorkels for one stretch they did in April. It's about 8 miles in total - 2.5 miles to the Meikle Bin and 5.5 along the top and the views are good. My walk at the weekend was 13 miles!

No comments: